- The Greyhound is categorized as a sight-hound, which means, rather than scent, it uses sight and speed to find its prey. Gentle and intelligent, Greyhounds make wonderful companions. The Greyhound can reach speeds of up to 45 mph in less than 2.5 seconds, and at full speed they cover about 59 feet per second. The only land animal able to accelerate faster than a Greyhound is the Cheetah. Like the Cheetah, they can only keep up that acceleration for a short time, but they are able to run at a speed of 30 MPH for up to a mile. Size wise, the Greyhound is usually between 26 to 30 inches in height and between 60 and 85 lbs in weight, with the females on the smaller side.
- The Saluki is the royal dog of Egypt and also is the mascot for our local Southern Illinois University (Carbondale) sports teams. It is one of the oldest domesticated breeds in the world. Originally used to hunt gazelles, the Saluki is a sight-hound that uses its vision and speed to catch prey. This breed has average intelligence and is extremely active. The Saluki can run up to 39 mph and will chase anything that moves, so it requires strict supervision while outdoors. Like the Greyhound, the Saluki has long powerful legs and a deep chest which is what makes it fast, very fast. It can range in weight from 29 to 66 lbs.
- The Borzoi, or Russian wolfhound, is from Russia, but is a descendant of sight-hounds brought to the country from Asia. The Borzoi is similar in appearance to the Greyhound, but it has long wavy hair so it can endure colder climates. The Borzoi is an intelligent breed that rarely barks. This breed can reach speeds up to 37 mph, and can adapt to living in confined quarters, as long as it is regularly given time to exercise freely. It can range in height from 26 to 28 inches and in weight from 60 to 105 lbs.
- The Whippet is a sight-hound that can reach between 18 to 22 inches in height and reach up to 45 lbs in weight. Typically quiet and friendly in nature, the Whippet makes an excellent house dog, as long as it has plenty of opportunity for free exercise. English in origin, the Whippet can reach up to 35 mph.
- The Afghan Hound is a tall and slender sight-hound with a long silky coat. They can reach between 27 to 29 inches in height and 58 to 64 lbs. in weight. The Afghan Hound can reach speeds up to 33 mph. Courageous and loyal, the Afghan Hound is also affectionate and calm in demeanor. As the name indicates, Afghan Hounds are from Afghanistan and the surrounding region.